Nattukottai Chettiar Temple - Penang
Morning Abishegam : 6.30 a.m.
Morning Pooja : 7.30 a.m.
Noon Abishegam : 11.30 a.m.
Noon Pooja : 12.00 p.m.
Evening Abishegam : 4.30 p.m.
Evening Pooja : 5.30 p.m.
Night Abishegam : 8.15 p.m.
Night Pooja : 8.30 p.m.
The Nattukkottai Chettiar Temple is a temple of the Chettiar community in Penang. Its full name
is Nattukkottai Chettiar Thendayuthapani Temple, also called the Arulmigu Thandayuthapani Temple.
It was founded around 1854, after the chettiar community in Penang Street bought the piece of
land to build the chettiar quarters, or chettinar. Being astute businessmen and moneylenders, the
chettiar build temples that are hallmarks of quality, and are usually well managed as well as
financially secure. Within the chettiar quarters is the temple of Thendayuthapani, an incarnation
of the deity Murugan. This temple was consecrated in 1857. It was build in the chokkatan, or
The present structure was consecrated in 1935.
They are often referred to as Nattukottai Chettiars to distinguish them from other groups of
Chettiars. The term "Nattukottai Chettiars" means "people with palatial houses in the
countryside". They are also referred to as "Nagarathars" meaning city dwellers, as they lived in
a city called Poompuhar on the east coast of Tamil Nadu, a part of which went under the sea.
By the third quarter of the 19th century things changed and the Brahmin priests in India,
particularly Tamil Nadu became adventurous as the rest of the Indians and decided to seek their
fortunes in Malaya and Singapore.
An estimated 100,000 people attend the Thaipusam festival at the temple, making it the largest
festival and human gathering in Penang. It is also a leading tourist attraction.
Thaipusam is an annual religious event celebrated by Hindus to commemorate the victory of Lord
Murugan over the demon, Tarakasuran. Devotees and penitents can seen bearing kavadis, and
piercing their bodies with hooks and spears without seeming to cause any pain or harm as an act
of faith and atonement.
The chariot procession begins on Thaipusam eve where the chariot together with Chettiar kavadis
-- male chettiar carry a peacock feather yoke accompanying the silver chariot -- (different from
body-piercing type of kavadis) departs Kovil Veedu(House Temple) on Penang Street, Georgetown in
the morning ends here at night. They retreat to the chettinar for three days before accompanying
the chariot back to town.
Sri Meenakshi Sundraeswar Temple.
View Larger Map
Tg Tokong Road near Island Plaza-1.9 km
Balathandayuthapani Temple-0.4 km
Chooi Bee Keong Temple-1.4 km
Penang State Museum-4.7 km
Bus Stop-2.4 km
Route from bus stop-3.2 km
Kwai Lock Coffee Shop-1.6 km
Doubledged - The Complete Curtain Shop-1.0 km
Penang Scout Shop-2.8 km
Gamma Shopping Complex- 3.9 km
Bukit Jambul Shopping Complex-11.0 km
Sunway Carnival Shopping Complex-11.7 km