Baram District (Fort Hose) Museum-1997
Baram District (Fort Hose) Museum,
Opening Hours: Daily 10.00 to 18.00 hrs.
THE Baram District Museum stands atop a small hill overlooking the Baram River in the town of
Marudi, Sarawak, and was previously known as Fort Hose. Construction on the fort began in 1898 by
Charles Hose, an Englishman who was appointed the Resident of Baram in 1891.
The fort was completed in 1901 and served as the Resident's house.
Hose built the fort as a base
to control rebellions and to defend his seat of administration over the district. It was
constructed using ironwood and has two large cannons mounted in front for protection against
invaders.During the Japanese occupation in WWII, the Kempetai used the fort as its headquarters. When
British Government returned in 1946, it again ...
Holidays: Mon. and public holidays.
Artifacts from the past as well as photographs taken by Charles Hose himself. Among many
photographs are salt processing by the Kelabits, other forts in Sarawak such as Lio Matu Fort at
Long Akah; the Kelabits megaliths as well as portraits of the tribes back in the 1900s. To know
more read this article.
Guided tour (by appointment).
Facilities in the Museum: MEALS/SNACKS/DRINKS CAR PARK
Situated on a hill overlooking the Baram river in the town of Marudi
How to Reach there:
TRANSPORT By boat